Monday, December 03, 2007

Welcoming December

We set out for the beach to watch the Lighted-Boat Parade but somehow found ourselves at Main Beach by the Wharf. Finding 'mishaps' like this to be happenstance, I drove down past the Boardwalk to park by this house. Every year this house always makes me laugh but it was always viewed in a drive-by. Part of me thinks of the Griswold's Christmas and I chuckle. Part of me appreciates the time & effort that it takes to pull something this together and I smile. I'm reminded to always keep my sense of humor and to appreciate what others have to offer - no matter how blatantly 'sweet' it is :) This was our first year to park by this house and soak it all in. Each of us saw different aspects of the light display to enjoy. Parking caused us to take the time to acknowledge what each of us found to be important which made the whole display - the whole picture - much more meaningful.For Kylie it was the blue Christmas Trees. For Breana it was how the reindeer looked like a horse (go figure!). For me it was the Nativity scene set upon the slope of the rooftop. For Brayton, well he soaked it all in one glance and returned back to his DS :) He was patient, I'll take it!
Pleased with out "visit" and our shared laughter we set out to the 'right' beach.

We parked high above the bonfires amidst the black backdrop of the night and chalked up the parade as cancelled due to the weather - not a single lit-boat in sight. Staying warm & dry in the vanagon we set for home. Could it be for real?! On our way home I was met by a stream of cars exiting the harbor! Luck have it, we found not only a lit-up-all-fancy-parade but a parking spot and a bench above the glistening water!
While I knew my camera wouldn't be able to snap a clear photo of the boats in motion, the shimmering of brightly lit reflections certainly captured the mood. With our eyes all excitedly lit up and our spirits warm by the lights, we headed for home. A perfect way to welcome December!

No comments: