Sunday, September 23, 2007

Summer Fun - "The Search for Hidden Treasure"

One of the fun & incredibly special things Kaitlin & Breana do every summer is participate in Vacation Bible Camp. Never you mind their Uncle runs the day camp...well, that's one of the reasons they love this VBC. Tom's energy with children and for teaching the word of God is infectious. When being introduced to an acquaintances' son one summer I told him my brother-in-law was one of the Leaders. He asked, "Which Leader?" I thought of how I can describe Tom to this 6 yr old, "The one who was jumping up & down at the morning assembly." His eyes grew as big as the smile on his face, "Oh him!!!" This year Kaitlin, Breana, Kylie & Brayton were no longer campers, they were Leaders-In-Training (Lights & LITs).

Breana was a 'Light' for Kindergarten & 1st graders w/ Brayton.She had the unfortunate (yeah right) job of being surrounded by such cuteness & cuddleness. By the look on her face you can't help but feel bad for her ;) winkwink

She'd come home w/ stories of stickers, naps & little voices.
Kaitlin & Kylie were LITs for 2nd graders. Kaitlin was touched by the kindness of these 7 year olds. The kids (affectionally known as "the K's & the B's") had long days at VBC - they got up early every morning to help set-up and stayed after the campers left each day to clean-up. It was hot and their days were busy but each day when I picked them up the 4 were full of energy and thankfulness. This "job" of theirs was fun - assisting in teaching these young ones about Jesus was rewarding for them. The time & energy that Tom & Tisha put into this VBC is admirable. I know if you asked them, like the K's & the B's, what they get back from the group of kids is what keeps them going. At the end of the week when Tom's voice is gone & Tisha is ready to hibernate for the weekend to replenish, I know they're planning and looking forward to next summer.
I asked Kaitlin & Breana what they learned from that week at VBC and both answered, "You shouldn't be consumed with what treasures you have on earth, it's your heavenly treasure that you should cherish."

Not a bad week...

No comments: